SCCN Advisor - Jinfeng Zhou
Dr. Jinfeng Zhou is the incumbent Secretary General of China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation (CBCGDF), a leading environmental NGO in China. He is also a full member of the Club of Rome and IUCN World Commission Environmental Law (WCEL), a visiting professor of the Institute of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era at Peking University, Chief researcher of green development at the Internet Finance Research Institute of Zhejiang University.
Graduated from Peking University and Purdue University, he obtained his PhD in Chemistry and Post Doctor in Physics. Dr. Zhou was the proponent and the creator of China's famous Guangcai (Glory) program which have lifted 20 million people out of poverty since 1994，through integrating the expertise, and efforts of the government, NGOs and private enterprises in creating sustainable businesses in rural areas of China.
Dr. Zhou has played leading roles in the development of his country which include: Being a member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) for the ninth, tenth and eleventh session for 15 years; being a Standing committee member of the All China Federation of Industry and Commerce, and Vice-Chair of the National Association of Vocational Education China (NAVEC) for the ninth and tenth session.
Since he joined CBCGDF as Secretary General, he guided the organization with his remarkable leadership and the organization joined IUCN, UN Global Compact and established partnership with the Convention on Migratory Species (UNEP/CMS). After the implementation of new Environmental Law in 2015, the CBCGDF pioneered in Environmental Public Interest Litigations (EPIL), proposed the revision of Wild Animal Protection Law to promote biodiversity conservation in a more comprehensive perspective. Dr. Zhou actively participated or advised in China’s major environmental laws and regulations in recent years, including advocating for a national level Biodiversity Law. He also outlined the initiatives of “Ecological Belt and Road”(EBRs), “Say no to Rosewood Collection” and created the system of CCAfa (Community Conservation for something at somewhere) to mobilize public participation and communities’ involvement in biodiversity conservation. He also actively supports United Nations’ SDG and eco-civilization with his valuable thoughts and implementation.
Jinfeng ZHOU is a long-time advocator of climate action. Efforts include but not limit to:
- “Let Wild Grass Grow” Initiative (2016) to combat climate change by reducing water wastes;
- “Say NO to Rosewood Collection” (2016) to reduce deforestation;
- “Eat local food & Advance Agricultural Biodiversity” (2018), to reduce water footprint and enrich biodiversity;
- calling for meal take-out companies to respect Consumer’s Green Rights and reduce plastic pollution;
- valuing natural capital by “Gross Ecosystem Product” (GEP) and launched pilot projects in three Chinese cities;
- advocates the value of dark sky and established a Dark and Starry Skies Committee (2015), which is China’s pioneer in the heritage conservation and fighting light
- advocates natural-based solution in urban planning;
- Decarbonization: advised Beijing and Hebei Province to pilot on stopping issuing new license plates to fossil-fueled vehicles starting 2021;
- EPIL against a leading Chinese energy company for curtailment of wind and photovoltaic power
- EPIL against Taobao etc. for selling cheating gadgets to car owners to pass annual vehicle exams;
- EPIL against Volkswagen for air pollution;
- Fighting plastic pollution by “Reduce & Pick-up Plastics” Initiative; etc
Dr. Zhou has earned a global reputation as a seasoned supporter of sustainable development, biodiversity conservation, environmental protection, and poverty alleviation. Read More