Linkages with SDGs
The project is construed as support in achieving the UN framework of Sustainable Development Goals set out by the United Nations in September 2015 , to be achieved by the year 2030.
SDG #7:- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- By 2030, ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services
- loping countries, in particular least developed countries, small island developing States, and land-locked developing countries, in accordance with their respective programmes of support
SDG# 11:- Make cities inclusive, safe and sustainable. (In this case college campuses)
- By 2030, provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems for all, improving road safety, notably by expanding public transport,
- Strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural and natural heritage
- Support least developed countries, including through financial and technical assistance, in building sustainable and resilient buildings utilizing local materials.
SDG #12:- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- By 2030, achieve the sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources
- By 2030, substantially reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse
- By 2030, ensure that people everywhere have the relevant information and awareness for sustainable development and lifestyles in harmony with nature
- Develop and implement tools to monitor sustainable development impacts for sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products
By 2030, when SDGs are said to be achieved, today’s students would be working in the market place as policy makers/managers/entrepreneurs/NGOs. Hence smart campus also has an underlying theme of skill building for smart cities. Therefore this project can also be considered as a driving force for tomorrows smart cities. This project will also go hand in hand with the Smart City project as devised by the government of India aimed at developing the entire urban eco-system of 100 cities. The target is to achieve this in the next 5 years.